Skip to main content

Re: Topic Tuesday // Self Care for Carers // Tues 20th July, 7:00-8:30PM AEST

Hope it's a great discussion @Daisydreamer @Shaz51 @TideisTurning and everyone joining in. Appreciate the tag, but I'm crashing after a hard day. Enjoy walk @MDT sounds like just what you need. Good evening all.

Hi, sorry to sound ignorant but just wondering if this is only an online discussion forum with text.

Hi @Daisydreamer @Mindy911 @znp @TideisTurning @Shaz51 

So I'm kind of interested in learning self care from a carers point of view, being someone with MI, I have to look after me which I have tonnes of experience doing, but also I care for my elderly mum with NPD, and sometimes the roles get crossed so I'm really looking forward to learning from Shazzy and the other carers. 

BB 🐰💙

@Shaz51 wrote:

Hello and welcome @znp@Mindy911 
I am Shaz51 and I am a carer for my elderly mum and I am unpaid carer and wife of my husband who has MI and Bipolar 2
I have been on the forum for 6 years and Community guide for 5 years and am very involved in self care and you may have seen me around the forum

So great to have you here @Shaz51! Your experience on the forums and compassionate peer support have been a feature of the forums for such a long time, and we are so excited to showcase your expertise here 🙂 

Welcome @Jelly & @znp. Glad you could be here with us! 

Hi @Emelia8😊

hello @Emelia8@Hal1@frog@Jelly@bipolarbunny Heart

Lol im a bit slow on this site
Hi im trying to support my son who is suicidal. I also struggle occasionally with depression and am finding it very difficult atm

Forgot to mention ... I was a long term carer of my husband who had severe mental and physical ailments. He passed away 3 months ago, leaving me feeling terribly lost. Its hard going from being a 24/7 carer, to suddenly nothing. No purpose and no direction. How do you turn that around?

This question is for @Shaz51 and the community 🙂 

Question 1: What does self care mean to you?

You sound like a gem, @bipolarbunny - and I agree it's hard to know sometimes where your roles start and finish, what you can and can't do, should and shouldn't do, etc.