Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Christmas - practical tips & strategies to get through the silly season

ha ha yes @Former-Member , @Lauz  has  become mrs @Lauz Smiley Very HappyHeart

Recipes?

I am spending Christmas on my own at home as usual (not by choice) - I will go out to a Council Community lunch, for those who have no family to spend it with (that's something nice).

Adge

Gentle encouragement for you to get yourself a little treat for Christmas tea @Adge 

@Adge, wondering if anyone on the forums might like a Christmas virtual get-together? Friday feast style. I probably won't even glance at the computer until after lunch is over, unless it's to play Christmassy music.

I don't like it that you're on your own for Christmas... I hope the lunch is pleasant, and you can find a way of enjoying the rest of the day.

@Smc 

On the lived experience side they will have an active Christmas day thread as well as a current Christmas lounge.

Hahaha very much enjoying the Mrs Clauz here - very clever! @Former-Member @Shaz51 

yes my first year as a Mrs indeed and we are hosting Christmas lunch with all those trimmings you mentioned @Shaz51 Wish me luck!

Also sending encouragement of a treat for yourself @Adge- its wonderful that you are heading to the council Community Lunch. 

Also love the idea of a virtual christmas get together here - maybe in the evening? Would anyone feel like starting up a thread maybe for that so people can know that they can head there for christmas dinner perhaps? 

Something I try to get on top of is doing as much food prep in advance as possible. Pudding and cake are cooked by mid-November, because they just improve with age. I try to cook the meat a day or two before Christmas so that it only needs to be heated up on the day.

I'm not good at sharing the load re. cooking... we've got a small fridge and small oven, so part of my planning includes working out how everything is going to jigsaw into place. One baking tray or plate of pav that's oversized, and it won't all fit... My sister usually brings nice drinks. Maybe I should outsource some of the nibblies too.

I would love to get other things done in advance too, but that's usually a big "fail". Often the clutter is being cleared off the table on Christmas Day, while the vegs are cooking... and too often I've still had pressies to wrap Christmas Day too. Sometimes the decorations haven't gone up until the 24th....

This year, once again I'm running behind schedule on the clear up and decorate parts of it. I do want to get on to those, both because it means Christmas Day is more relaxed, and because I'd really like the house (or at least the dining room) to look cheerful and reasonably tidy.

Is there a little something you could do today in relation to  "clear up and decorate" @Smc ? Could your younger daughter help with the latter?

Was thinking myself that I have some Christmas bunting that might add a little cheer to our place. 

@Former-Member, really hoping so. 🙂

Younger Daughter would love to help decorate, but I need to do the clear up part of it first. Maybe with Hubby's help.

Outsourcing = practical

When invited out I do not like to rock up empty handed.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance