Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Pets as therapy and for our wellbeing

Thanks @Emelia8 Clawde is OK this weekend

How are you going today, my pets are good my Vet is rich bit ridiculous lately, allways a trip to the Vet for one thing or another.

This year alone has cost thousands not keen to add it up today, just want to enjoy them the love they have for thier owners is priceless.

I thought all my fellow pet lovers might be interested to read the following article which appears in todays Daily Telegraph:

Furry Friends make Beneficial Bedfellows

"Sleeping next to your pet in bed has great benefits for boosting mental health and reducing stress, animal experts say. The latest data shows around half of all dog and cat owners allow their 'fur babies' to share their beds at night, while companionship is the leading reason for becoming a pet parent".

"Dog behaviourist Karen Barrett said there was no problem inviting your dog up on the bed for 'cuddles and love' as long as it understands its owner is the 'leader' of the household.  If the dog is sleeping on your head, that indicates they think they are higher up than you are, and that is a problem. But by lying next to you (alongside), there is an oxytocin release that encourages us to cuddle up together.  Its also a basic genetic survival instinct, the dog behaviorist said".  Makes sense ... stay close and keep each other safe from predators, etc.

"When you have single or elderly people, whose partners have passed, having a dog that sleeps on the bed is comforting".  I can attest to that.  

So if you have your pet sleeping on the bed alongside you ... you are one of many.  Plus it is actually good for you and has proven mental health benefits.

Tagging furbaby people who may be interested, but please feel free to tag others if I have missed any

@Clawde @Anastasia @Shaz51 @Sans911 @WIP @BlueBay @Lee82 @Eve7 @Former-Member @Mazarita @Former-Member @Exoplanet @EleanorRigby @saltandpepper @HenryX @greenpea @oceangirl 

Emelia 💕🐶

Image result for dogs on the bed

See the source image

Image result for dogs on the bed

@Emelia8 😃👍 good one!
That explains a lot, thanks for sharing. Good to see you ❣️

very true @Emelia8 Heart

hello @Former-Member 

Dear @Emelia8  thank you for thinking of me and Levi. I was watching a boring morning show Tv show and they had an article on this too.

I totally agree with what they say - it's better for your mental health to have your fur baby wkeep

next to you. Atm, Levi starts on top of the bed next to me, while I stroke his fur. Somehow during the night he curls up behind my legs and in the morning we have cuddles. If it's really cold, I somehow convince him to climb under the doona and we rest for another 1/2 hr. 
A bit pathetic/spoilt but I'd have it no other way.

My previous Cavoodle was the same, except he snored at times 😉

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance