Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Pets as therapy and for our wellbeing

Thanks @Former-Member. It is good to know I'm not alone. I just wish I was one of those people who could sit with their pet on their lap and cuddle them and get comfort from them.
I'm hoping as I get stronger and better that I will be able to show them more love.
They do know when I'm down. That's when they like to hang around me more. But that's when I'm more likely to pull away.
Bugger - just got an AHA Moment. I think I used to do the same with my ex's. WOW! Will bring this up with my therapist this week.
Thank you so very much @Former-Member. Sometimes when I post - the answer comes to me. Thanks for helping me get to this moment.
Wow. Feeling emotional. Teary and happy.

Yes @Shaz51 I guess she could be thinking that she is bringing me a present. Perhaps she knows I like frogs and lizards? I have a lovely collection of crystal, porcellan, etc of mainly frogs. So she could be just trying to add to my collection. Ha ha.

We dont have many toads around here thankfully.  And no Cane Toads either.  But yes, I do know they can be quite toxic, so I try to keep a watch on my little frog-loving dog.  Smiley Happy

Thats gorgeous @BlueBay. I'm really happy for you that you have her. They really do bring some much needed joy into our lives dont they?

Thanks @BlueBay for your suggestion. I have a teenager whose 'job' it is to help me walk them. But he won't & I can't be bothered arguing with him about it.
Have just given all the dogs big cuddles and told them I love them. They understand.

@utopia - I am sure your dogs know you care about them. They really dont need a lot to be happy. To be near you, to have food, water and shelter - is usually enough for them in the short term. Longer term - yes they need walks and interaction, but they will always forgive you if you cant always provide that. They do have the company of each other as well I gather, so that helps. I am sure they loved their cuddles just now too. And yes, they do understand. Far more than we often give them credit for. xx

@utopia. I get what you mean and do. I'm very similar with my dog and people. I struggle to find that comfort I need and am so ingrained in thinking I have to by myself. I love my dog lots but he's never been the reason to stay here. He is the centre of my world and only constant but it still doesn't seem enough and sometimes I wonder what is wrong with me. All my friends know I have the most spoiled dog. It seems like such a contradiction. Not looking for a response, just saying I get what you wrote.

I used to have a pet rat but he recently passed away. My gf has dogs and while I love them, they are not mine and I don't have a connection with them per se. I miss the positive vibes I used to get from my pet. He was very affectionate. If there wasn't 3 dogs here already, I'd consider getting a Mind Dog (which has the same rights as other assistance dogs). 

I used to have horses about seven years ago and found them wonderful therapy. They really are in tune with their caregiver's emotions and like dogs, know how to provide comfort when it's needed. 

Hello @Queenie

Wow , pets are wonderful xx

Hi @Queenie .  My brother in law used to have a pet rat too.  Apparently they make great pets and are really quite affectionate and intelligent little things.

I also used to know somebody who had a "Mind Dog".  And yes you're right they have the same rights as guide dogs for the blind and are considered an Assistance Dog in every sense of the word.  They have legal access to all public transport, hotels, restaurants, public places, etc.

I also used to have horses, but thats a while ago now. 

What breed are the 3 dogs already in your household?  Its a shame you dont feel you have a connection with any of them, but I guess I can understand that, given they arent really yours.

Woman Happy

Hi @Former-Member and thanks for replying. 

The 3 dogs are a mini foxie, a terrier x rottweiler x wolfhound and a kelpie x cattle.

They are nice dogs and I play with them and all but I miss having my own pet. I looked up Mind Dog's website and unfortunately they have been inundated with applications and aren't taking new ones for another 12 months. 

I miss my pet rat very much. He was a very loving little soul. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance