Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Self care by growing a garden

Ooooh it's so cold outside- seriously, it's late summer, why does it feel like winter???

But I dashed outside for long enough to plant four capsicums and a viola in a spot that I got ready for them several days ago, but between being out doing other things and rain, hadn't gotten to doing it yet.

I built it up with a whole lot of chook bedding and bunny poo, so hope they'll grow well. 🙂 The chook bedding is a mixture of straw, chopped up shrub prunings, and turf that I've dug up from a place where it's not growing well and not wanted anyway. My chook girl gets all excited when she sees me coming with a bucketful of it, because she gets to forage for worms and any other critters hiding in it.

@Smc

Cold snaps = 😬

Getting things planted = 🙌

Mr Darcy has been busy again weeding another section of garden designated for the plants we have bought.  There are a few jobs that need doing and I am wondering if I need to get in some help so Mr Darcy does not get overwhelmed. 

Former-Member
Not applicable

images (2).png

Mr Darcy has been busy mowing and weeding, he has got another garden bed roughed out, ready for fine tuning and planting.

I got section of mowing done, my weeding has been a bit more random, usually trying to liberate individual plants that are not visible and likely to be whipper snipped if not exposed. Have been putting marker sticks in some spots to alert Mr D there is a wanted plant in situ. I put some bamboo sticks around the newly planted carpet roses to protect them as the chooks have been scratching in the mulch and in the process have decimated the small plants, initially burying them with the mulch then scratching over them,  one has died.

Our lone chook doesn't get to free range @Former-Member, but I've had some similar problems with blackbirds. They may have scratched out a basil plant or two, but I put in a whole punnet, so there's plenty more. I've got small rocks around a lot of my "at risk" plants, particularly potplants. They do double duty, helping keep the surface of the soil moist, and when I repot, they're easy to put aside and reposition later.

www.cartoonstock.com-cartoonview.asp_catref=nthn633.jpg

Looking at ways to enclose the chook run @Smc.  I don't want the hens free ranging, there run is plenty big enough.

images (21).jpeg

images (20).jpeg

d1168723342b2c56a3a28f83bf5716ad.jpg

Appleblossom Hibiscus @Appleblossom I have one growing in my backyard. Lovely.

Adge

@Adge 

Posting a photo = 👍

Today we finished a garden bed, planted and mulched around 7 plants. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance