Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

melq83
Senior Contributor

will talking about my journey help others? need to make some sort of right out of all this wrong!

Hi all, 

i need advise from those who are willing to give it! the last 7 days have been pretty bad, i have faced many people who dislike me very much to a point where you could easily say i am very hated in the community right now, and thats not to mention most of my family and friends. but out of all that has happened lately i am starting  to work things out in my head with the help of my psychologist.....

I'm understanding that people judge very easily, they judge by what they read, hear or see. most of those that judge also have an opinion that they seem to share with most others who will listen. This is where i have the disadvantage. 

What people are reading, hearing and seeing is only half the story. i know i have no right to be angry at those who are doing all of the above and im not, but watching my life fall apart around me like some horror movie is making me realise that maybe out of all this bad situation i can turn some of it into good. 

What if i can share my journey with others? I wouldnt be doing it for the hope of people forgiving me for what i've done because i have excepted that will never happen, but with hope that maybe people can understand more about mental illness like DID and how it effects those who have it and also the ones close to them aswell. 

I have always been a person who would help others, and i truely believe that if i can tell all about my life that people might find some understanding to mental illness,child abuse and truma, it may also help others that struggle almost everyday with some sort of illness or truma like we do to reach out. 

I went into a few book shops today and looked at a few biographies about peoples life stories and out of about 50 different books i looked at, nothing was about mental illness and childhood truma. i do realise alot of people dont like to talk about mental illness and childhood abuse etc but i feel that while people have their head in the sand so to speak its a losing battle for many!

I know Rome wasnt built in a day, but if i can make some sort of impact when it comes to people understanding that mental illness is real and it does happen to everyday people maybe it could be the start of something good happening in the world?? 

I have been in the public eye for many years, all good reasons until the last 3 months.

i know by telling all to everyone will be very confronting for me, aswell as many of those who are or where close to me but its not just about me anymore, its about helping others,its about helping people realise that yes people make mistakes, some huge like mine, but sometimes life gets out of our control and we need some help in being guided back on the right track. its about people hearing or reading my story and knowing i have owned what has happened but at the same time im dealing with something that until 3 months ago i had never even heard of, as im sure many others were the same!

i just think i maybe able to help people at least try and understand that mental illness is real and get people  to jump on board and acknowledge it for what it really is! 

Everyone has a story to tell, no ones is the same, some suffer more than others, but if you knew that telling your story would help change a life of one person then isnt it worth it??? 

Thoughts??? 

MQ 

12 REPLIES 12

Re: will talking about my journey help others? need to make some sort of right out of all this wrong!

MQ it sounds as though I am in almost exactly the same situation ... but I rise above it and don't let it grind me into the ground. I am so much more than what I have been judged and labelled so do not worry MQ to truth will out and those that tortured you with accusations and name calling will soon know how wrong they once were and you will live at peace greenpea xxx

Re: will talking about my journey help others? need to make some sort of right out of all this wrong!

@melq83 I should mention don't worry about not being 'liked' it is okay. People worry too much these days about being liked I blame social media. It is okay not to be liked I am sure there are people that you dont like or even hate maybe. Just try not to let it bring you down ... you will always have people here who care and will be interested in what you have to say so you will never be alone on the forums. greenpea xxx

Thanks @greenpea for your reply! It means a lot! 

@melq83 good I meant every word of it 🙂

@melq83 I'm working really hard in my small part of the world to change the worldview on MI, especially DID. Every small thing we do causes someone to think differently. Every small piece brings change. Rome wasn't built in a day, is a wise quote. Good on you for being part of change, sharing your story, your story, not what has been interpreted. You are the only one who know you and the truth. Take care. I wish you well.

hi @Maggie

Thanks for your kind words! 

I know its going to be a long road to get to where i think i need to but all worth it in the end! Its looking like i maybe spending some time away but wont know more till the 24th july and if thats the case i will have lots of time on my hands to put pen to paper and have everything written down.. I have had a bit of experience with public speaking so i am hoping to be able to go down that path also to tell my story. As long as it helps other people thats what counts! 

Hope you are going well? 

Mel 

morning @melq83 Heart

hi @Shaz51 hope your day is going well ? 

@melq83 I'm writing an essay type of understanding MI and DID. It is going to be used for training professional counsellors. All anonymous, but it's going to be used at uni in my city. It's every little bit that helps. Your story will be helpful. What you write here is helpful. I hope today is good to you.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance