Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Son (22) with schizophrenia

@Grasshopper3 this is a guide that lists a lot of supports

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.mentalhealth.wa.gov.au/Libraries/...

HACC provide different services including cleaning and care:

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://ww2.health.wa.gov.au/~/media/Files/Co...

This mob might have someone who could visit.
http://www.ruah.com.au/services/mental-health/

If you have a look through the sites on the consumer side you might find something suitable for your situation.
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Grasshopper3 @Former-Member @patientpatient
Checking in on you today.

hello @Former-Member

all quiet on the homefront re contact from my son.

non stop messages alerting me of imminent dangers and how to protect myself have gone quiet for 2 days.

I thought I would look around the website and have found myself one here for hours now.

In fact the last post I read and responded to has drained me but I just felt I had to reply. I cant help myself reaching out to young males who are in need of help. I feel that in a roundabout way I am helping my son.

crying now so going to take a break from here.

hope things are better with Mr Darcy I know you had some concerns. You look after you Mrs Darcy, you are such a caring soul with a glint in your eye no doubt, loving your sense of humour xxx

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hey @Former-Member keep that self care happening...
@Grasshopper3 haven't read through your posts fully but was hoping to see if your son had been successful with DSP or if it was still in progress.

Hi @Former-Member,

We're managing a medication change at the moment. The anti-psychotic med that my son has been on for many years had become much less effective. Increased doses weren't helping and side effects have always been a major problem. So it's a slow reduction in one med at the same time as something new is introduced. Another anti-depressant/anti-anxiety med is also being increased. He wasn't managing all that well; very unsettled, sleep pattern changed (up at night - 2am, 4am), overwhelmed by thoughts and ideas. While all this is happening, Centrelink staff have decided he should go back to the job agency and look for part-time work. From a carer's perspective, I'm tired and anxious most of the time. I read the forum regularly and also see a psychologist, both are very helpful.

Former-Member
Not applicable

@patientpatient
Changing meds can be difficult, I guess there would be a good 2 month cross over period. Hard to keep self care happening at these times of transition, but can I gently encourage you...I know when things are pending even a long overdue haircut for myself can seem out of the realm of possibilities... Mr Darcy is in need of one now and was quite happy about getting it done but has a bee in his bonnet today and has changed his mind (I cut his for him). C'est la vie ...

@Former-Member

Yes, planning is difficult, even for something small. We can be out the door and just about to get in the car... and the plan changes. In the end, most of the plans aren't so vital and can wait for another day. It used to bother me a lot but now I generally go with the flow. I hope that a suitable haircut opportunity presents itself reasonably soon. 

Former-Member
Not applicable

I go with the flow too @patientpatient,
there are things that are not worth stressing over.

Hi @Former-Member, @Former-Member, @patientpatient,
I have spend many hours too, on this sane forum. Learning, looking for advice, help, anything to make things better for us.
I too, go with the flow. My son has had a phone conversation with someone from Centre link, and appearantly he will be reviewed next year. So it looks he's still on NewStart allowance which pays for his smokes and an occasional Subway.
I am very lucky he's gone to the new mental health facility in our new area.
He liked the young nurse and he said for first time he's looking forward to his next shot, so he gets to see her again.
He has also indicated to a male clinical nurse he wants to keep every thing at this new clinic. He liked him as well as he wasn't writing all down but actually listening.
I have seen a psychologist, and told her I want my 'mojo' back.
I don't know about you guys, but it's still not easy living with someone that suffers from SZ.
Eventhough medicated, there still the messy bedroom. Hasn't washed his sheets for 2 months, shoots his boogers onto the wall whilst having a shower and pees outside in a potplant. I can see the plant struggling and chuck water over it in the morning but I think to myself maybe if the plant dies, he realises to pee inside, in toilet 😕

There is an organisation here called Grow. It's a peer supported group of people with MI and they are forming friendships and showing new members the ropes.
I'm warming him up to attend a meeting, to see what it's like. He said he doesn't want for sit with mentally sick people.
I'm telling him he could teach others of what he knows, they could learn from him. I keep trying till he goes. He has no friends or immediate family apart from me.
I told the clinical nurse I will be needing respite soon. My parents are getting frail and I might have to fly home to look after the one left behind etc and my son will need help He referred me to Richmond Fellowship, and Carers WA and he said he could also pop in once a week if my son was left home by himself.
I told him I'm taking him with me this trip in June.
Anyway today I woke my son up at 12:30pm and it took him an hour and a few coffees to wake up.
I had heard him say earlier this week he wanted some new shirts, I asked him how much he wanted to spend? He said he just been paid by Centre link and saved up $50! My son and saving?? YES!! I said I had seen some nice shirts at Good Sammy's and his money would go to good course at same time.
We had an hour in there - in and out the fitting rooms we had next to each other, giving each other feedback.
Then I shouted him to a subway (he loves subway) and went for our evening walk then home to watch a movie.
I'm now still typing away in my bed and it's 1:00AM.
I can hear him still in the lounge room and I guess he won't sleep for another few hours.
He always amazes me. When on our walk he told me it felt good to have the psychotic episode. I asked him what was so good. He didn't know. I said did you like the way you thought? He replied yeah and how far he could go (?) I said did you also now I was really really worried about him? He said you shouldn't be.
This is completely different to what he told me last year when I saw him in hospital and the bits and pieces I got out of him in the weeks after.
I hope never to have to go through that again, he was living a nightmare. He told me about cannibalism and sacrificing children and he knew where they were buried and.... Now he's casually telling me he thought it was fun!
I tell ya, you gotta be pretty special to be a mum of a SZ man!
Good night and take care
🌷

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Grasshopper3

My husband attends Grow, where we are it is a small group of older patients, he struggles with having a mental illness but will go religiously. I will clarify that he has a working diagnosis of bipolar ii with a differential of insidious onset schizophrenia; I am not sure which will be right but he accepts the current Dx and is med compliant (includes antipsychotic tabs) and does self medicate. His psychotic episode was non bizarre, more delusional and came with depression but he has gone missing a couple of times in what was thought to possibly be psychosis. In the Dx mix has been major depression, OCD, anxiety disorder, panic disorder and personality disorder. He has late onset diagnosis, was in his 40s when things started to deteriorate and is now 56. Things going into crisis when he was 47 and major crisis at 52, things are only just settling now but I don't think his meds are quite right yet.

With regard to your pot plant ... in the event of persistent 'watering' can I suggest getting a lemon ... they are known to thrive on this but would still need extra water to dilute it.

Darcy
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance