Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

SmilingGecko
Senior Contributor

Hello I am a new member here.

Greetings to everyone here.  Saying hello and I am wishing to introduce myself to everyone here. 

I am 48 years old, female and I live in an out of Melbourne quiet semi-regional cul-de-sac. I have lived with schizoaffective disorder for close to 30 years, was re-diagnosed with bipolar and since stopped seeing a psychiatrist.  I live independently and many of my friends and relatives have since passed on and I am finding myself in a situation of having to hop back into the mental health loop.

I participated largely in the recovery movement in the 1990's before the mental health system became "Americanised" in Australia.  It really was the hey-day of an era in mental health that offered the best levels of care and I feel extremely fortunate to be offered that level of support as many people nowadays have not been afforded that opportunity 

I choose to stay out of hospital today having been put in asylums like Laurundel twice before they closed institutions and other stays in a variety of psychiatric wards.  I have not been hospitalised in 18 years.  I self manage my condition and don't have an existing treating psychiatrist but occasionally discuss my situation with my GP but that is all.  My condition is well managed.

Have been through the entire psychiatric system and seen just about everything - the good, the bad and the ugly.  I don't keep my ear to the ground anymore with new developments in psychiatry only occasional acknowledgement that the system is indeed broken and there are lots of "initiates" out there who are struggling to get by.

I try to focus on what is right with my life and not what is wrong.  We all have down days but I think its great to focus on your inherent strengths and what floats your boat.  I cope using a number of strategies in my self-acquired-toolkit I like to think of it as being - its good to have fallback strategies and things in your life to help you to live with relapses and the days in which the wind is taken out of your sails.

Early in my recovery the emphasis workers placed on things was acknowledging your strengths.

I have lots of hobbies, love reading, learning about alternate healing and trying just about anything for size.

Anyway I'll keep the introduction short, sending virtual hugs and hoping that today has greeted you with sunshine

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Hello I am a new member here.

42.  American.  Just joined.  Bipolar.  Train wreck right now. It’s nearly 2 am here and despite medication the night is when it comes for me.  

Actually inaccurate.   Not an American, I’m a TEXAN, which is COMPLETELY different.  

@SmilingGecko@Dark Hi Smiling_Gecko and Dark welcome to the forum :). I am 53 and have schizoaffective disorder just since we are laying our _ _ _ _ all out on the table.

Appreciate all the coolness and support.  I don’t have room for masks in real life...my sh!t is always 100% on the table these days.  

Hi Greenpea.  Good to meet you, looking forward to getting to know you better over the course of the duration.  Where abouts are you located?

@SmilingGecko  Hi Smiling_Gecko I am in northern NSW. It is a pretty area. When you want to talk to someone just tag them like I did you with the @in front of the name and it will tell the person that you are making conversation with them. 

How are you finding being off medication? It is what I dream of but sadly not a possibility for me yet anyway.

@Dark Dark I have to ask what is the difference between a Texan and a American? 🙂

I get that difference @Dark but probably a few different versions of being Texan too.

Smiley Happy

@greenpea I am not off my meds at all just use other supportive strategies to ensure my overall health.  I did mention them in another post but they were seen as breach of guidelines and my post was taken down so I am not allowed to discuss it further.   I guess they have to protect members here.  Thats ok I can deal with that.  

Hope youre having a nice weekend.  

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance