Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Multiplicity
Casual Contributor

Advice requested - Different personalities wanting different things

Hi there,

First time poster here.

I was diagnosed with DID 3 years ago. I have been working with my therapist closely, but feel like I need some more advice/feedback from people with lived experiences.

I’m currently having a problem that I would like some advice on if anyone has any.  I’m noticing that 2 of my personalities feel different about my partner of 15 years. They cheated on me about 5 years ago, and although we have healed and moved past it, someone still very much hold the betrayal against them. It would almost appear that they are trying to sabotage my relationship. It’s quite frustrating and confronting, as the last thing I want is for this relationship to break down. They are my rock and when that personality is not there, I love them so much and care for them just as much. When I’m triggered into the personality that doesn’t trust my partner, it’s also very tiring for them as well as we just seem to go over the same things, even though we have worked through these issues.

Any feedback that you have, that would be great. 

Thanks again. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Advice requested - Different personalities wanting different things

Hi @Multiplicity 

Welcome to the SANE forums!

It's great to have you here.Thanks for telling the community a bit about yourself.  I'm sure the forum members will be able to offer you support, information and connection Smiley Happy  

I'm the moderator this afternoon. Feel free to ask the SANE forum team or the members if you need help with how to use the forum. You might like to check out the Guidelines as they can be a pretty useful doc Smiley Happy https://saneforums.org/t5/help/faqpage#community-guidelines.  

Hello @Multiplicity,

I have DID too and I also have alters that dont trust my partner for different reasons but the distrust is hard still the same. I suppose the action you take depends on the alters age but my partner has learnt the easiet thing to do is to give space to those alters when they are present. I have a little who just doesnt like males at all she scream when males are near, while it has taken some time we have now got her into the routine of going to the bedroom with her "safe teddy" and doing an activity like colouring or playing the ds. my middles/teens all have their own things they do some trust him others dont but they dont make a big fuss they just keep to themselves. I only have one adult alter that doesnt trust my partner and to be honest i have know idea why but when i was seeing a psych they did talk with this particular alter and came up with suggestions/startegies that both my partner and alter could use to help keep the peace.

dont know if this helps you at all because everyone is different but i am always happy to talk.

@Multiplicity  this is what I think might be happening to you, you do not have to accept my thinking or suggestion.  To me it sounds like maybe you moved past it but fragmented parts or more complete personalities haven't.  It's like being on a train with other passengers and a crash happens, everyone is going to have different injuries, different degrees of trauma, they will experience the event differently.  The secobd part of this is that alters that become persecutory tend to be trying to protect you from further harm, so in a strange way, they are being caring and protective.  My suggestion is that you work with your therapist and partner in allowing these parts to express their thoughts and feelings and to heal like you did.  My other suggestion is that you might try and express appreciation and affection towards them and reassure them that it's now safe, they can trust that the betrayal won't happen again.  Goodluck.

thanks for the reply. It was nice to be able to read advice on this matter from someone who has lived experience. It has given me hope that I can resolve this and move forward. The feeling of being out of control of this matter has be especially rattled. 

the feelings are so polar opposite and just change at the drop of a hat. I'm hoping to work through it with my therpist but I cant get in to see her for a few weeks. I wish I could appreciate her for trying to protect me, but it causing so much person to someone I love dearly. I just need them to quiet down a little, even for a few days. I feel as though I;m in a constant state of fight and flight and have been for a week. Its like living a horror show. 

Thanks again for your advice, I will be sure to take it onboard. 

Thank you so much for responding. It's actually really nice to hear that others have problems like this and have survived. 

Everything feels so hard right now. I feel like the alter that doesnt trust them is fronting ALL THE TIME since she asked for some space. Every now and then the rational one returns and I have some respite, but as quick as I feel ok with what is happening, the irrational one returns to remind me that my world is on fire. 

My partner has just asked for some time to work on themselves but assures me they still love me. I know this, but cant stop the irrational one from fronting. 

Thanks again, I really appreciate it. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance