Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Powderfinger
Senior Contributor

Big decision to make. Not sure what to do.

As some of you know I have been looking for a housemate to share with me. Just one person. It is hard going. Had a few interested and almost had one, it was just that she could not afford the weekly rent. 

I am only asking for 200 a week and that includes all bills. I can understand though that it is expensive for someone. I could rent out the other spare room but the landlord says he only wants two people living in the house. 

Anyway, this now means I am up for $800 per fortnight on my own. That doesnt even leave me enough money to pay my other bills that are seperate from the house. 

In my town most people are screaming out for rentals truly, but they want whole houses not really to share a house with someone. Also it is mostly families. I am thinking I am going to have to break my lease and find two people who want to live in the house. He doesnt want a family, he doesnt want anyone who has pets either. So, I am really limited and it is making things hard for me. I think he assumes I am made of money like him. 

I feel really stuck. I can't handle any stress right now and I am really starting to panic about my situation. I didn't think it would be hard to find a housemate.  

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Big decision to make. Not sure what to do.

Hi @Powderfinger,

I'm not sure if we've met before on the forum. I have been only occasionally here for the past two years. I just found your post unanswered and wanted to leave a reply.

Hoping that you've been able to talk to some others on the forum in different threads about your housing issue, and that there have been some positive developments since you made this message.

If you are still having difficulty, there may be a tenants union of some kind in your state. If you happen to be in Queensland, like me, the website is here:

https://tenantsqld.org.au/

If you are in another state, I suggest looking up Google for any organisations like that in your state.

As far as I know, it's illegal for a landlord to reject any reasonable tenant you find for them in the case of a break-lease.

Re: Big decision to make. Not sure what to do.

@Mazarita 

Hi thank you. I have an appt with an organisation tomorrow and may even approach another one depending on how tomorrow goes. I need to do something as I'm pretty unwell and this is adding to my stress. Thanks for the advice. I'm in WA. I will see how things go tomorrow. 

Powderfinger

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance