Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Myths and misconceptions of Schizophrenia // Tues, 24 May, 7pm AEST

Hi @Sanefan

Thanks for your question

I am not aware of any specific research around the age group of 18-25 year old, however I do know that approximately 50% of people with a diagnosis of mental illness have issues with drugs and alcohol.

Co-morbid substance use problems are common for those with psychosis. In a report from National Drug Strategy they state that self medication does explain some but not all of the reasons for co-morbid substance use and schizophrenia.

It is a very complicated correlation. We do know that drug use is increasing, especially injecting drugs, whether this is rising in correlation to those experiencing Mental illness, this is not known.

Is this something that you or a family member has experienced?

Outlanderali 

Re: Topic Tuesday // Myths and misconceptions of Schizophrenia // IN SESSION

Whose heard this one before?

"People with schizophrenia are violent"

If you are living with schizophrenia how does this make you feel? As a carer how does this make you feel when you hear people in society and the media saying this?

Is this a true statement? 

Re: Topic Tuesday // Myths and misconceptions of Schizophrenia // Tues, 24 May, 7pm AEST

Hi there @Heff thank you for your post, it is very honest and a very true experience to what a lot of people also experience. 

It sounds to me as if you have stuck by your son and done everything you can to support him on his journey with schizophrenia. However just because he has a diagnosis of mental illness, it doesn’t give him permission to be mean and rude to you.

Unfortunately, sometimes in caring relationships, you forget that you are also his mother/father and a person. You focus so much on getting him better, that you let a lot of behaviour, that you previously would have taken exception to, go.

It sounds like you may need to set some boundaries with your son.

There is a great book that you can purchase called – Empowering Families by Sue Konningen . Sue talks a lot about her experience of supporting her son on his journey, and she gives some practical tips and ideas on how to redevelop relationships.

Check it out and see what you think!

Some really great advice @Attahua ! thanks for sharing!!

Hi Outlanderali

I always cringe when I hear how media outlets report crimes by people who may have a mental illness. They can be very stigmatising.

I live in a remote part of WA with limited clinical services. I work in a NGO focused on Mental Health and suicide prevention whilst caring for my 27 year old son who has a diagnosis of schizophrenia. My husband has recently left as he cannot get his head around mental illness and therefore has expectations of our son that are misguided. His coping mechanism is to run away and isolate himself. This makes me wonder about his own mental health. Meanwhile I soldier on alone. I would sincerely appreciate some support by connecting with a carers group as if my tears start following (and they are not far away) then I wont be able to stop...and who will care for and try and assist my son then?

Hi @scaredmumThanks for your post.

The most important thing to do if you think someone is at risk of taking their life by suicide is to ask them straight out. A huge misconceptions that people have is that talking about suicide gives people ideas. This is not true and is actually the opposite. Talking about suicide saves lives.

The more we talk to people about suicide, the more we make it okay for people to talk to us if they are concerned, upset or at risk.

All people with mental illness have the capacity to get better and lead a normal life. History if full of people with a diagnosis of schizophrenia that have done amazing things. If your son has great support  in place and learns to manage his symptoms then he too can achieve everything that someone without a diagnosis can achieve.

If you are worried about your son, why not have a conversation with his dad, or sister, they may share your concerns and you can come up with a plan together.

Outlanderali 

Hi @scaredmumThanks for your post.

The most important thing to do if you think someone is at risk of taking their life by suicide is to ask them straight out. A huge misconceptions that people have is that talking about suicide gives people ideas. This is not true and is actually the opposite. Talking about suicide saves lives.

The more we talk to people about suicide, the more we make it okay for people to talk to us if they are concerned, upset or at risk.

All people with mental illness have the capacity to get better and lead a normal life. History if full of people with a diagnosis of schizophrenia that have done amazing things. If your son has great support  in place and learns to manage his symptoms then he too can achieve everything that someone without a diagnosis can achieve.

If you are worried about your son, why not have a conversation with his dad, or sister, they may share your concerns and you can come up with a plan together.

Outlanderali 

That's right @NikNik

Interestingly enough, no mental illness has a criteria of violence, but we always assume if someone commits an act that we don't understand that the person must have a mental illness.

Sometimes there are just bad people out there.

Outlanderalui 

Hi - this is the first forum i have visited ... so not sure if i am doing this right.

One of my adult children has schizophrenia and I must admit i dont like the word 'recovery'.  I also dont like the word 'illness'.,  When I go to the psychiatrist with my son the focus is always on "how is you going with your mental illness?" or "how is your recovery going?" I leave feeling quite down and miserable ... so it must be awful for the person with schizophrenia to always have people waiting for them to stop being "ill" or to "recover".  My son is a wonderful, eccentric human being and if i though the only thing he had to focus on in life was "recovering" from his "illness" then i would be a very sad mother indeed.  My son takes medication but lives with the voices in his head all the time.  I so admire him that he has found 'peace' with his voices.  Yes, he talks out loud nearly all the time, but his voices support him, encourage him and have become his friends.  He said if he had a choice he would not want them gone ... but would like to have a little more control over them as they can be quite bossy and interfering at times, and keep interrupting him when he is trying to concentrate.  However i constantly think what a truly remarkable blessing it is to have him in our lives - it constantly reminds me that what he experiences is his 'normal' - to him its not "illness" and he does not need to "recover".  He just needs to keep in harmony with his reality.  I know at times he needs some additional supports - when some unpleasant voices jump into the conversation and bully and harass him, but again he manages this with such dignity. What a wonderful world it would be if we embraced differences.  After all, most 'nomal' people can be quite boring 🙂  

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance