Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Self Care for Carers // Tues 20th July, 7:00-8:30PM AEST

Questions 2 for @Shaz51 and the Community:

a) What is your relationship with self care?

b) And if you are building self care into your day, what do you enjoy doing for self care? (feel free to share as many creative ideas as you would like)

Not a problem @outlander Heart

Thank you and you too im feeling?

Hi @Mindy911
No worries. The forums can be tricky to get used to sometimes! You may find some good resources at the Suicide Callback Service, including around caring for yourself while supporting someone else. You can also get in touch with them to speak to someone 1:1 if you'd like, or the SANE Helpcentre is also open until 10pm if you'd just like to speak to 1:1 non-urgently. 

Questions 2 for @Shaz51 and the Community:

a) What is your relationship with self care?

b) And if you are building self care into your day, what do you enjoy doing for self care? (feel free to share as many creative ideas as you would like)

My relationship with self-care is an ongoing learning progress, as Carers we know we have lots of ups and downs in our daily lives, every day is different and so important to see what self-care fits into your lifestyle
For building self-care into your day, I enjoy a relaxing Bath, playing words games on the computer, going for a walk, spending time in the yard with a nice cuppa
Other ideas are
• reading,
• crosswords puzzles,
• jigsaw puzzles,
• arts and crafts,
• painting,
• gardening,
• cooking,
• getting your hair done,
• doing your nails,
• Drawing,
• colouring in,
• walking,
• riding,
• swimming
• and many many more

Self care for me is anything that reduces stress getting to the point of boil over. Usually something I love doing. Sometimes it means driving mum 5 hours to her sisters and having a few weeks off. 

BB 🐰💙

So sorry to hear @Emilia8. My good friend has written a book called "A Guide to Grief". (see google). She has experienced loss and used this to create a practical help guide.

Like any relationship, my relationship with self care is one that builds and grows over time. Most of the time, it’s good, but there can also be off days also. One of my favourite self care go to’s is a walk after I finish up with work, or when talking to a loved one over the phone. I also enjoy taking my dog with me!

Doing whatever it takes to restore energy. For me personally (as an introvert), that is bingeing Netflix shows or movies, eating cake/sweets, having a glass of wine, cancelling social outings, having a long hot shower, going to bed early. Sometimes it can be hard though, to enjoy any moment of happiness, when I know my son is suicidical/suffering daily (he has ADHD, severe anxiety and RSD - only recently diagnosed, and is currently being assessed for a whole lot of other things, including bipolar). I feel guilty.

I am still trying to get some self care into my life but when I do it's doing some meditation and walking my dog

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance