Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Your mental health and the recent bushfires // Tues 28 Jan, 7pm AEST

Thanks for reminder @Lauz . Hi @Daphne . @Rainforest  

Yes @Shaz51  is right .. I was directly affected by the bushfires on the mid north coast in Nov/Dec especially. Thankfully recent rains mean we are now almost fire free for the first time since October. 

Being so close to massive fires, with falling ash in our back yard and being on alert for evacuation is a very difficult experience. I personally have pre existing long term PTSD and I am sure the fires have had a very negative affect on me even now.

Although I would love to stay on here, unfortunately my mobile is nearly flat. Since the fires our NBN has been out more than its been on. None here for two weeks now.

Sooo ... I need to go charge up, and will catch up with convo later.

Sherry

Re: Topic Tuesday // Your mental health and the recent bushfires // Tues 28 Jan, 7pm AEST

Welcome @CheerBear to Topic Tuesday and I'm so sorry too to hear how difficult the past few months have been with it reminding you of the Black Saturday fires.  How are you managing at the moment?

@Lauz Good question, how do we manage the impact.

We can re-open roads, rebuild houses quickly but that won’t mend people’s broken hearts and minds and the pain and grief and loss from this situation will linger, compromising their mental health and for some it will mean a long-term mental health issue may develop. There are things we can do now but a long term approach is required.

@Lauz , @Daphne , @Rainforest , @CheerBear 

Cyclones are soo different to bush fires

So you do all you can to is to clean up the yard and to to make sure the house is all closed up and then wait for it all to pass , it will take hours , the power goes out and the phones 

With cyclones you need to find a safe spot and stick it out 

When it is over , what a cleanup and last time we had no power or phones for 10 days 

Hi @Adge - welcome, so glad you have joined us and have shared. 

That is so hard when we are trying to manage our experience and triggers and wellbeing when its a challenge to even get away from the discussion. Have you found any ways to help that? To manage that impact?

@Shaz51 What a great description, what came to mind reading that @Shaz51 is that sometimes you have to just sit and wait. Much like we're all doing at the moment, sitting with the shock and horror and having to be patient with the recovery.

Hi @Former-Member - thanks for sharing. Sorry you have to head off but very important to charge up. I know its been an awful time for you, so glad you are almost fire free. You might find it helpful to pop back in later and read through this when you can. Stay safe 👋

I agree @Daphne. That sense of wanting to do something but feeling helpless would be felt widely by many I imagine.

@Rainforest As you mentioned (I think it was you), I have found it helpful to try and limit my exposure to coverage of it all. I can find myself very easily lost in the awfulness of it (and any big, horrible news really). At times I've had to make a conscious effort to put my phone down and walk away from it. I feel a bit guilty or 'off' even writing that as I know so many people don't have the ability to switch off or walk away.

@Adgethere are so many potential triggers in it all and many that a lot of people might not even think of or recognise. I'm sorry you've experienced that.

Hi @Adge welcome and I can hear that the bushfires have not only been triggering but having it everywhere has made it even worse.  It sounds like you have some strategies for looking after yourself - please feel free to share then with us if you like 🙂 

Hey @Adge it's so true that we all experience this situation differently. Some people really need to talk about it a lot and some need to withdraw. I have been conscious of people that already have experienced similar situations or trauma as you mention.

It's important to know our own boundaries and what is safe for you. It's okay to switch off.

Our own self-awareness is really important when it comes to our mental health. People that already have an existing mental health issue or a history of trauma may notice an escalation of symptoms but not realise that it is related to the exposure of the fires. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance