Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Re: OCD - Trichotillomania

Wow, @Nat29 ! You spent 20 years skin picking and then stopped? Did you also have the trichotillomania at the same time, or did you swop from one to the other? I would be fascinated to hear how you stopped, if you feel you can share that...

I've been thinking more about the trichotillomania, and in an article that @Rhye  linked on the new thread I started, it says that trichotillomania and skin picking are related. (The thread is Excoriation Disorder ) My tying my hair in knots is also a soothing behaviour, except that it results in me ripping my hair out to get the knots out. 

Tagging @AlSimon too for the new thread link and @Nat29 's post above. 🙂

Just saw your second message, @Nat29 ... I am 50 and female, similar to you 🙂 I'm on antidepressants too, and they are supposed to help the OCD germophobia too, which they do I guess. I have only once tried to focus on the Exposure Response Prevention Therapy for the OCD, and it was a big failure as I felt the whole house was being contaminated. I chose to focus on my 5 other MIs (mental illnesses) plus my childhood trauma instead. 

@Nat29 wrote:

I've seen some pychologists who knew nothing about Trich. So weird. So that's embarrassing. 

That must have been so hard for you 😞 And hard to trust someone who has never heard of it too 😞

What do you do, do you wear a scarf or hat? I am going to have to look at wigs if I pull any more of my hair out! I've already made note of a local wig shop, for when it gets to that point...

Tagging @AlSimon  also, for the germophobia bits...

Hi @Nat29 

Welcome and thank u for Ur post

I suffer from trich as well

I was shocked to see a new show life and beth, with a character who experiences experiences.

I haven't told my therapist, as for me I don't pick out my hairs from my head, but other areas. It is embarrassing.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance