Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Pets as therapy and for our wellbeing

Thankyou Bec.

I am pleased to hear that you have a cat to help you through tough times.

They certainly can bring comfort in times of sadness and distress.

And I totally agree, to be always welcomed home, no matter what, is just lovely. Unconditional love and devotion.

Beautiful poem @Former-Member

and Holly looks wonderful , Yes I had a corgi called Tara , she was just soooo wonderful and cheeky and lovable

Thanks @Shaz51. Yeah Holly is great. I used to have a Pembroke Corgi when I was a teenager. He was a beaut little guy too. We called him Peanuts. Is the bird photo on your Profile picture one you took, and if so, is it one of yours?

Hello @Former-Member

years ago when I was a family day care provider , the children found the lovebird in the sandpit, we put her in a cage and she lived for another 10 years xx

Did you Pembroke Corgi still had his tail ??

my corgi was born at 8am on christmas day -- my present ha ha after asking mum over and over if I can keep one

@ Shaz51 - No he had no tail, it had been docked, as they did in those days.

Ahh, another Christmas day puppy. Same as Holly. Although I have no idea what time of day she was born. Did your Mum breed Corgis? A lovely present for you.

Your bird looks beautiful. I was not aware that they lived that long. Must have been healthy and happy.  I have budgies.  16 of them at present.  I have them in a large outdoor aviary.  All colours - blue, pure white, pied, grey, purple, black and purple, black and white.  A real mixture.  They are lovely too, and most are very friendly and hop onto my hand for a little pat and cuddle when I go into the cage to see them.  Cute little guys they are.

Hello @Former-Member

We didn`t know they lived that long either xx

and no mum didn`t breed Corgis, so my corgi had a little bit longer legs then usual

Anyone who owns a pet knows the significant place they hold in our everyday lives.  Its nice to dwell on the many positives that come with pet ownership.  And there are many.

What is it that compels us to continue to adopt, rescue, and take care of these animals much as we would a much loved family member?  Here are just a few of the reasons why:

1. Pet ownership is good for our mental health and wellbeing. Research indicates that pet owners exhibit greater benefits than non-owners on traits such as self-esteem, physical fitness, sociability, happiness, and overall health.
  2. Pet ownership has been known to help alleviate symptoms of depression among terminally ill patients, the elderly, and people suffering from PTSD.  A number of programs now integrate canine therapy as part of their treatment.  
  3. For young children pets help to cultivate empathy towards others and enhances a sense of responsibility in taking care of a living creature other than themselves.
  4. Less pre-occupation with 'self' is higher among pet owners compared to non-owners, which seems to suggest that the responsibility of taking care of another living creature may release us from some of our more egocentric tendencies.
  5. In a highly stressful world where we can sometimes feel that our sense of worth is judged by how we look, what job we have or how much money we earn, the uncomplicated and simple love that comes from pet ownership is priceless. 

But to conclude I would like to share with you a couple of quotes I read recently, as they accurately sum up the benefits of pet ownership in general, and dog ownership specifically:

“There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face”.

"Pet ownership may be the last bastion of refuge and unconditional love that we can experience in our ever-changing and growing world".

My little dog Holly has been my loving and devoted little shadow almost every second of the day since I got her 7 years ago.  I can never repay what she has done for me.

I personally think that my cat is so helpful to my mental health care that my private health insurance should fund cat toys and flea treatment for all the money in hospitalisation she is saving them!

Hello @Former-Member, @Former-Member

I have had lots of pets in my life xx

My cats says Hello to me when i come home , a different hello when she is hungary , she has her own personality , she is 15 now

My cat has a different meow for hungry, hello, I'm bored etc.
I hate the "I've just brought in a present" meow. She brought me a lizard this morning. But I captured him and let him outside. 😊
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance