Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Self Care for Carers // Tues 20th July, 7:00-8:30PM AEST

@znp wrote:
a) It's constant and front of mind as much as I can make it.
b) I build routines - morning: take meds, eat banana, make coffee, meditate, then complete my journal where I list:
1. something I will read or write that day
2. a self-care skill I will use (often CBT based but not always)
3. self-nurturing I will do - and this is important, even if it's just I will listen to my favourite song while I sit on couch
Then in evening, more journal:
1. what did I achieve today (made the bed!)
2. what did I learn today (how to draw dragons)
3. what can I improve (validating my family)
4. what can I plan for tomorrow (take dog to vet)
5. what skill or strategy can I use to cope (hug the dog mindfully)

Some great self care routines you have there @znp!

@BPDSurvivor wrote:

What ideas do you have to prevent burnout and fatigue? What can we put in place to prevent getting to a point of breakdown?

Ive learnt to say 'NO' to people. I used to bend over backwards for people, but now I can say 'NO' in order to reduce the likelihood of burnout or fatigue.

👏👏👏👏 

So important @BPDSurvivor!

What do you do when family won't help? I have older brothers who barely visit and are not interested in giving me a break cause as they see it, I don't have a life so she's my problem and my mum absolutely would not go into respite. My best option is to take her to her younger sisters for a few weeks, but lockdown has made that increasingly harder. 

BB 🐰💙

Talking to my wife is the most important and also my psych. They are as wise as each other when it comes to what I should do to repair and heal.

I really like these tips. Thank you. I have been feeling like I am going under and these strategies feel like a lifeline.

@znp wrote:
Talking to my wife is the most important and also my psych. They are as wise as each other when it comes to what I should do to repair and heal.

Sounds like you have some really strong relationships/connections in your life. Connection is a huge part of self care

yes relationships are soo important @znp , to have the love and support for each other 

I have found having other Carers who I can talk to during difficult times is invaluable. Then I always know it can be reciprocated when they need someone to listen. I have found other family members, work colleagues etc really don't understand, so people in the same situation who I know works best for me.

Also joining in Carer support groups and activities when they are available, as I find I need the structure to help me to schedule self care time and breaks.

I agree. My sister has made all the difference.

So glad to hear you are finding these tips useful @Hal1 Heart
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance