Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Self Care for Carers // Tues 20th July, 7:00-8:30PM AEST

@Mindy911 wrote:
I feel youI feel so much guilt and so helpless that sometimes it really is hard to switch offIf what im doing is not working and im not feeling any enjoyment in what im doing I try and distract myself with something else, like cleaning or talking about my feelings to a loved one

Do you find distraction helps as well @Mindy911?

You are right in saying there are times we just need to shift and try something else when the first self care activity we try isn't working. It sounds like you have people to talk to, which is so great to hear Heart

@SJT63  Yes I used to feel constantly guilty. I guess I learned to be flexible in finding times for self care. I get my mum all settled in her day or evening and I "steal" self care moments wherever I can. But I've had days where I've really needed to deal with my own MI issues but just have had to suck it up and get her settled first. Thankfully she goes to bed early so a lot of my self care is of an evening once she's asleep. 

BB 🐰💙

Question 3: Carers on the forums talk about burnout and fatigue, and this is something so many people here can relate to. Self care can be one way that we slow the impact of burnout.

What ideas do you have to prevent burnout and fatigue? What can we put in place to prevent getting to a point of breakdown?

Question 3: Carers on the forums talk about burnout and fatigue, and this is something so many people here can relate to. Self care can be one way that we slow the impact of burnout.

What ideas do you have to prevent burnout and fatigue? What can we put in place to prevent getting to a point of breakdown?

Caregiver Burnout Prevention
here are some tips to help you pre-empt caregiver burnout.

• Ask for help! Needing help doesn’t make you a bad caregiver. It simply means you can’t do it alone (no one can do it alone).
  • Give yourself permission to take breaks. Get out of the house. Visit with friends. Pamper yourself with a massage. Take a long bath.
  • Take care of yourself. Don’t skip your own doctor’s appointments because you’re too busy. Exercise, eat well and get enough sleep.
  • Get up 15 minutes earlier and use the time just for you. Sit with your coffee or tea and enjoy it. Journal about your struggles and feelings. Meditate, pray, stretch. . . . Do whatever you want to do.
  • Make a list of your daily activities and tasks. See if you can delegate any of them. Perhaps your spouse can make dinner twice or a week. Maybe a friend or relative can run errandsor help with laundry. People often want to help—take them up on it!
  • Check into family-leave benefits from your place of work. Take a huge weight off your shoulders by giving you more hours in your day.
  • If your loved one is receiving hospice care, ask your hospice provider about local support groups. Communicating with others who are in your situation helps immensely, as does opening up and sharing your frustrations—and your joys!
  • If an opportunity comes along for a brief getaway for you, consider hospice respite care for your loved one. Your hospice program should offer short-term inpatient admission for your loved one (meaning more than 24 hours and up to five days and nights maximum) to relieve family members or other persons who are caregivers.

@bipolarbunny @SJT63 ,

I think this is also important for parents with young children - that self-care time is so important. Just time out for yourself when the kids have (hopefully) gone to bed.

I agree. It sort of needs to be something that is non-negotiable

Scheduling time for self care is a great strategy @BPDSurvivor!

Self care is definitely a major way of preventing burnout. I feel like ‘maintenance self care’, that is standard activities you do all the time, is integral. If I don’t make it out for a walk or don’t have the opportunity to wind down, I notice and feel the difference. 

Ive learnt to say 'NO' to people. I used to bend over backwards for people, but now I can say 'NO' in order to reduce the likelihood of burnout or fatigue.

Very true @BPDSurvivor , i remember when my 4 step children were little 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance