Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

heal
New Contributor

Rare form of ocd?

Hi have anyone heard of this kind of ocd?

I don't identify my ocd with any of the ones commonly listed nor their treatment options, I have ocd similar to contamination ocd, not with avoiding germs/diseases, however is towards avoiding human beings? I am fine with friends though.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Rare form of ocd?

Welcome to the forums @heal ,

It's so good to see you reach out to the community. My name is tyme, a peer support worker.

As much as I'd like to share my insights, I have limited understanding of OCD.

I am eagerly waiting with you for community responses.

In the meanwhile, feel free to have a browse around to some threads which may interest you, including:

1) Daily Achievements! 

2) Hot Chocolate Anyone ? 

3) The Ice-Memery 

See you around,

tyme

Hi and welcome, @heal  - I like your username! It's good to have you here. 

I have OCD (germophobia). Can I ask what you fear from the contamination from other people? It doesn't sound like you fear getting sick...? 

We are not allowed to diagnose here on the forums, but I would be interested to hear what it is you fear. 

Also, do you have any professional mental health support that could help with this diagnosis? 

Morning @heal and welcome to the forums 😊

OCD is a funny one, my experience living with the condition has seen it morph into a few different presentations, contamination fears being one of them. When I was at my worst and the symptoms and intrusive thoughts really took hold, my mind was throwing all sorts of strange new phobias at me and I felt like I couldn't possibly have OCD, that it must be some other diagnosis that the doctors were missing...they hadn't, it was OCD.

I share my story with you in the hope that it might provide some solace that everyone's journey with OCD is different. I'm also wondering whether you have a professional support to help guide you through this diagnosis?

Happy to answer any questions you may have @heal, and thanks to @NatureLover who is a champ round these parts – so generous with their time and experience, particularly with OCD.

Rhye ☘️

@Rhye wrote:

...and thanks to @NatureLover who is a champ round these parts – so generous with their time and experience, particularly with OCD.

Thanks for the kind words, @Rhye ! ❤️

@heal  and @Rhye , I'm actually fascinated by OCD, it takes so many varied and interesting forms with different people. You definitely can't put it in a box. Yes, it's a terrible thing to live with sometimes, but it also makes me laugh sometimes. For instance, I've noticed at my volunteer job that if I get anxious about something to do with work, that I disinfect my hands! That has no logic to it at all and is funny when you think about it 😄 I know of course how it's linked to my germophobia and is a soothing mechanism for anxiety, but when I catch myself doing it with no trigger of germs it makes me smile at myself.

I can totally relate to that @NatureLover, I'm a point in my recovery with OCD that I can laugh at some of the thoughts too. Isn't it amazing when you reach that point? There was a time when I believed that never would have been possible, but with a lot of hard work today I'm able to relate to exactly what you've written here @NatureLover.

Thank you again for sharing 💚

@Rhye wrote:

but with a lot of hard work today I'm able to relate to exactly what you've written here @NatureLover.

Aww, that's great to know, @Rhye ! 🙂

Hi,

I am confused - are you saying you avoid unknown people, are not concerned about contamination (re; humans) yet acknowledge your OCD is similar to contamination?

Given the current situation, I'd suggest your "condition" may be relatively normal.

I'm new to this forum so apologies re; etiquette etc.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance